Academy of Teachers
The Academy of Teachers is committed to promoting the shared value and culture of teaching excellence and student achievement at Wayne State University. We strive to engage faculty, students and staff in conversations about learning, and to move from conversations to concrete actions that improve the educational experience for all students. We also work to encourage policies at the university, local, state and national levels that support teachers and promote and reward effective teaching.
- Support the professional development of faculty and instructors, and the recognition and reward of excellence in teaching and learning at WSU.
- Provide an effective means for sharing information, ideas, and proven strategies to promote excellence in teaching and learning
- Serve as an advisory group to the Provost on matters related to teaching and learning and policies that affect recognition and reward
- Assess and promote institutional-, college-, and department-level structures that honor and reward excellence in teaching and learning.
- Provide a conduit for institutional change to support teaching excellence
- Members receive a one-time honorarium upon induction.
- Members retain the recognition of Member, WSU Academy of Teachers for life.
- Members will collaborate with the Office for Teaching and Learning to present/co-present at least 2 workshops on teaching and learning related topics of their choice during the course of the first 3 years of membership in the WSU Academy of Teachers. This may, for example, be participation in an annual WSU Teaching Summit.
Call for Nominations: Due Friday March 8
Membership Qualifications and Academy Composition
The Academy is open to all WSU tenure system and full-time, long-term instructors with a minimum of 5 years of full-time service in a capacity that includes, but is not limited to, undergraduate instruction at WSU.
- Evidence of instructional excellence, which may also include documented efforts to innovate and take risks to promote instructional excellence.
- Evidence of leadership in promoting excellence in teaching and learning at the department, school/college, and/or institutional level (e.g., college or institution level awards for teaching such as the President's Award for Excellence in Teaching).
- Evidence of significant impact on the WSU undergraduate learning experience beyond one's individual courses (i.e., able to demonstrate impact on the department, school/college, and/or university levels).
Overall Academy Composition:
It is expected that Academy members will be representative of the rich array of teaching and learning environments at WSU (e.g., traditional, hybrid and online classrooms; studios; labs; and clinical settings).
Applicants may self-nominate by submitting a complete application (see below) or may be nominated by others. Upon nomination, the candidate will be invited to complete an application.
A complete nomination packet will include:
- A two-page letter of interest and qualifications
- One recommendation letter from someone knowledgeable about your qualifications
- Current WSU Professional Record
2019: Nominations now open, new members will be announced at the OTL Innovation Luncheon March 19th.
2018 (Inaugural Class):