The Office for Teaching & Learning supports online courses and programs. We provide assistance with course design and assessment, diversity, evidence-based learning strategies, and instructional technologies. If you are teaching a hybrid or online course and would like to consult, we are available in person, by phone, or virtual meeting spaces (e.g., Skype or Blackboard Collaborate). To schedule an individual consultation, click here or call 313-577-0001.
Are you considering teaching a hybrid or online course?
Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute
The Office for Teaching & Learning offers the Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute in May. The institute is designed to help instructors prepare to teach in a hybrid or online environment with a strong foundation of hybrid and online course design principles and best practices. This is a hybrid learning opportunity with two face-to-face meetings and a week in between in which to develop and post course materials in an online environment.
In the institute, participants will…
- Engage best practices for online and hybrid teaching
- Discuss various frameworks for designing hybrid and online courses
- Identify and practice the basic operations and features of a Blackboard classroom from both student and instructor perspectives
- Explore strategies that emphasize active learning and student engagement in hybrid and online environments
- Design at least one module and begin to assemble key components for their own hybrid or online course
Although the 2016 Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute has concluded, the OTL continues to offer individual consultations to support instructors interested in teaching online. Please contact us at OTL@wayne.edu or 313-577-0001 to schedule an appointment.
In addition to the institute, the OTL is offers a series of optional workshops designed to enhance familiarity with tools and practices of hybrid and online learning. Participants can choose to attend any or all of these workshops. Below are selected workshops to compliment the institute.
- Introduction to Blackboard
- Universal Design for Learning
- Designing Courses for Significant Learning
- Getting Started with Camtasia Studio
- Getting Started with Blackboard Collaborate
- Captioning: Making Your Video Content Accessible
Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute, May 2016
Online Teaching Institute, May 2015
"The structure was great. From working through the modules between sessions (which was very well organized and set up a perfect amount of work) to having support at the beginning and feedback at the end, all this was very helpful."
- Online Teaching Institute Participant, May 2015