The Office for Teaching & Learning supports online courses and programs. We provide assistance with course design and assessment, diversity, evidence-based learning strategies, and instructional technologies. If you are teaching a hybrid or online course and would like to consult, we are available in person, by phone, or virtually. To schedule an individual consultation, click here or call 313-577-0001.
Are you considering teaching a hybrid or online course?
Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute
The Office for Teaching & Learning offers the Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute in May. The institute is designed to help instructors prepare to teach in a hybrid or online environment with a strong foundation of hybrid and online course design principles and best practices. This is a hybrid learning opportunity with two face-to-face meetings and a week in between in which to develop and post course materials in an online environment.
In the institute, you will…
- Review best practices for hybrid and online teaching
- Discuss various frameworks for designing hybrid and online courses
- Identify and practice the basic operations and features of a Canvas classroom from both student and instructor perspectives
- Explore strategies that emphasize active learning and student engagement in hybrid and online environments
- Design at least one unit of learning for a hybrid or online course
Meeting Dates & Times
Monday, May 6th, 2019 & Monday, May 13th, 2019. Additionally, participants can expect to complete approximately eight hours of online activities between meetings.
Monday, May 6th, 2019: 8:30am – 3:00pm (Light breakfast and lunch are included)
Monday, May 13th, 2019: 8:30am – 12:00pm (Light breakfast is included)
Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute, May 2017
Hybrid & Online Teaching Institute, May 2016
Online Teaching Institute, May 2015
"The structure was great. From working through the modules between sessions (which was very well organized and set up a perfect amount of work) to having support at the beginning and feedback at the end, all this was very helpful."
- Online Teaching Institute Participant, May 2015